Emphasis on release management is a relatively new but growing process associated with software engineering at the enterprise level. In today’s highly competitive business environments, a poor release is the last thing you need when you are trying to deliver value to your customers. On the other hand, having an effective release management approach can help an enterprise move through the software implementation pipeline more smoothly with greater visibility and traceability.
Whether the need for change was dictated by competition, advances in technology, or customer demands, the same efficient release management is needed. Unfortunately, it is easy to focus on the speed of software development, even though change must ultimately result in increased value to the customer. Understanding and defining business needs via customer feedback can translate into actionable steps that will ensure they receive net value faster and with less downtime or fixes.
5 Steps of Release Lifecycle Management
Release lifecycle management covers the broad understanding of applying dedicated resources to oversee the planning, scheduling, development, integration, testing, and deployment of change through every stage and environment. This enables IT to deliver applications more quickly and reliably to achieve continuous distribution with less wasted effort.
- Identify Change – The initial step in any release should be a clear-cut statement that clarifies the customers needs and outlines the benefits to the end user.
- Develop Code – The value stream for customers is the unit of developed code. All too often, there is misplaced focus on coding and not enough on the release.
- Create Package – Many factors in play are the result of negotiations. When packaging a release, each should have a one-to-one relationship with a requirement.
- Generate Build – As software is being built and tested, developers need transparency to provide them with access to dependencies and potential risks.
- Deploy Release – Once a release is deployed, it creates a circular process involving iterations to ensure continual improvement through future releases.
Mycelium’s Release Management software comes with a set of pre-configured integrations for industry-leading platforms and prefabricated adapters designed to ensure the entire process is seamless for customers at any point in the pipeline. The ability to separate a package allows those that passed the tests to go forward in the implementation pipeline while isolating those that have not yet passed and should not be promoted.
Delivering Quality Software Solutions
Today’s enterprise is a dynamic environment where change can come from different directions at a differing pace. This has put pressure on IT to find better ways to orchestrate changes. In that regard, effective release management should not be thought of like a checkpoint but as a tool to better manage change for dynamic software solutions. As each new tool captures and integrates more data, it presents a tremendous opportunity for an enterprise to deliver continuous improvements for its customers. For the constituents to collaborate effectively, release management tools chosen by the enterprise must allow work to be visible, so teams upstream and downstream are able to see the current release scope and timing to ensure everyone is on the same page.
Mycelium’s release management software facilitates the packaging of various items needed to support any given requirement that satisfies the needs of the enterprise in a timely, robust, and reliable manner. For more information about our automated enterprise solutions, contact email@example.com, or call 1(904) 473-4959.